Sunday, November 18, 2007

Snowmobiling Becoming a Family Affair




ARA) - There are over 4 million snowmobilers in the United States and Canada, and studies show that snowmobiling has become a family activity. A survey by the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association (ISMA) shows that 95 percent of snowmobile enthusiasts consider it a family sport.

“Snowmobiling is a wonderful way for families to share an active, outdoor lifestyle in the winter, spending time together while appreciating the beauty of nature when it is blanketed with snow,” says John Tranby, marketing communications manager for Arctic Cat, a leading snowmobile manufacturer. With 230,000 miles of groomed and marked snowmobile trails throughout North America, families have many opportunities to explore the great outdoors.

Resorts, restaurants and shops near popular snowmobiling areas have started catering to families as well. Even traditional skiing destinations like Vail, Steamboat and Aspen in Colorado and Stowe, Vt., have recognized the appeal of snowmobiling and now offer ski/snowmobile packages. Many resorts rent snowmobiles for families that want to try the sport.

“Today’s snowmobiles are designed with a variety of comfort and convenience features that make them safe and enjoyable to ride for hours. Manufacturers have developed cleaner and quieter engine designs to lower the noise levels as well as emissions. In addition, the continued popularity of touring snowmobiles that make it easy and comfortable for two people to ride shows the impact of the family on the sport,” says Ed Klim, president of ISMA. Arctic Cat’s T660 Turbo Touring model is a good example. It offers the convenience of a quiet four-stroke engine, rear racks for extra storage, heated handgrips and mirrors -- perfect for a family outing.

Anyone who operates a snowmobile should take a safety course, but this is especially true of children; in many states, training courses are mandatory for youths and underage drivers. Many snowmobiling clubs and state snowmobiling associations offer this type of training. There are nearly 3,000 snowmobile clubs in North America, along with 27 state associations in the United States. Virtually all snowmobile clubs are involved in trail maintenance, charity fund raising and family activities.

The International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association and Arctic Cat encourage all riders to follow the safe rider’s pledge:

* I will never drink and drive a snowmobile.

* I will drive within the limits of my machine and my own abilities.

* I will obey the rules and laws of the state or province I am visiting.

* I will be careful when crossing roads, and always cross at a right angle to trafic.

* I will keep my machine in top shape and follow a per-op check before each ride.

* I will wear appropriate clothing, including gloves, boots and a helmet with a visor.

* I will let family or friends know my planned route, my destination and my expected arrival time.


* I will treat the outdoors with respect. I will not litter or damage trees or other vegetation.

* I will respect other people’s property and rights, and lend a hand when I see someone in need.

* I will not snowmobile where prohibited.

With proper training and a respect for nature, snowmobiling can be the perfect family activity. To see the variety of snowmobiles available today, visit www.arctic-

Courtesy of ARA Content

About Author


Courtesy of ARA Content
Source: ArticleTrader.com

No comments: